Monday, April 12, 2010

Grocery Shopping in Japan

Here's is my experience of what its like to handle my food situation here in Japan.

Japan is expensive too. Not just Tokyo or Osaka, but all around Japan. Before I came here, I thought the country town and outskirts were much cheaper but I was wrong. For example, in Japan, the refrigerators are very small. If you've seen a minifridge in the U.S, then picture a fridge just a tad bit taller than that with a freezer and a refrigerator in there.Well, it doesn't hold much food so If you buy meat or vegetables or anything frozen , you're gonna keep buying stuff constantly even weekly or biweekly bcuz you can't hold that much stuff. To solve that problem though, I bought a deep freezer for about $190.00 that can hold a ton of stuff and then I just shop for the month which is no more than 3 trips over the period of 1 month to the grocery store for me. Also, if you like chicken, here in japan, what they do is take a chicken breast cut it into 4 or 5 thin slices and sell it for the equivalent of $5 Bucks. I got around that by going to the Brazilian Import Store which is anywhere where there are brazilians and I get that Peito de Frango(Chicken Breasts) in big pack of about 4lbs or 2 kilos which is normally about 7 thick chicken breasts for aboout $3.98. I buy a lot of those and store it in my freezer and I also get this meat called picanha and its like sirloin but cut from a different part of the cow, it has 85grams of protein per 1/4 slice. I just eat that and chicken for my meats. When I first got here, i had to learn how to live Japan style but I have since figured it out and its aiight.

No comments: